HOW TO APPLY
BECOME A GATOR
- Apply for admission to San Francisco State University at CalState Apply. Once your application is complete, you will receive a San Francisco State ID#, which you will need to apply for housing online.
- Receive your admission notification to San Francisco State University and Accept the Admission Offer (AAO).
COMPLETE THE APPLICATION
- Once you have accepted your admission offer (AAO) to San Francisco State University, log into the housing portal using your SF State ID number and password.
- Select the community you wish to apply to and fill out the application. Be sure to select 3 alternate communities in case your preferred community is closed due to COVID-19.
Please Note: Due to the pandemic, roommate/apartment-mate selection is not available at this time.
SIGN THE LICENSE AGREEMENT & PAY THE INITIAL FEE
After completing the application, click to accept the terms of the License Agreement and pay the $200 initial fee*. The $200 initial fee includes a $130 credit applied to your first installment, a $40 activity fee, and a $30 non-refundable application fee.
Please Note: Your application will not be finalized until you complete this step.
CONFIRM YOUR SPACE
Housing room assignments will be emailed to confirmed applicants and will include the assigned building, room number, roommate/apartment-mate names and email addresses (if applicable). After receiving your room assignment notification, log back into the housing portal and complete the form to confirm your space.
Fall housing applications cover both Fall and Spring semester housing.
- Go to housing.sfsu.edu/apply and click the Apply Now button to access the housing portal.
- Log into the housing portal using your SF State ID number and password.
- Fill out the application and click to accept the terms of the License Agreement.
- Pay the initial fee.
At the time of appliction, you will:
- Select your preferred theme community. Optional and not available for the New Student Housing Building on Holloway.
- Select your room type preference.
- Pay the initial fee.
Please Note: Roommate selection is not available for Manzanita Square.
STEP 1: Create a Roommate Profile
Once the License Agreement pages are completed, select the 'Room and Roommate Selection' link from the menu bar in the Housing Portal. All returning residents will be required to create a profile in order to select and be assigned a roommate.
STEP 2: Select Your Roommate(s)
If you do not have specific roommate(s) you'd like to share a room with, you will need to search for roommates in the housing portal. For students who already know who they would like to share a room with, go to option 2 to create a 'Roommate Group'.
Option 1: Search for a Roommate
After creating your profile, students will be eligible to search for roommates according to the following criteria:
- Search by Details- by entering their details
- Search by Profile Questions- by selecting profile questions
- Search by Matching Roommates- by searching roommates who match by profile information
Once you have found a roommate you would like to share a room with, select them and move to the next step.
- All roommates must be current returning residents.
- Your License Agreement preferences and roommate selections are not guaranteed. If you are dissatisfied with your selection you may request a room change two weeks after the beginning of the semester.
Option 2: Create a Roommate Group
Returning residents may choose to select a group of two (2) to five (5) roommates when they reach the 'Search for Roommates' page by completing the following steps.
- Designate a group leader. Once a roommate group is determined, a group leader needs to be selected for the room selection step. We recommend that this be the individual with the earliest timeslot and the resident who will be responsible for selecting the rooms. Please Note: All group members are encouraged to discuss potential situations that could impact a group leader's decisions prior to the sign-up process. The earlier the date of completion by the group leader, the better the chances are to get an earlier room selection time slot for the roommate group.
- Create a group. The group leader will need to create the roommate group on the 'Search for Roommates' page. Each roommate must complete their application, License Agreement and pay the initial fee in order to be added to the group.
- Remaining group members join the group. Once the first roommate creates the group, the rest of the group members are able to search and join the roommate group.
- Group members confirm and verify each member. Once all group members have joined, each member must confirm and verify each other. Unverified groups and inappropriate group names will not be accepted.
Please Note: Room selection is not available for Manzanita Square.
Have questions about the self-selection process? View our Self-selection FAQS.
At the time of application, you will be able to select your room type preference. Room selection timeslots will then be assigned based upon when you complete your Fall Housing Application AND submit the initial fee. In order to receive a timeslot, both the Application and the initial fee must be paid by April 17, 2020. Please Note: The earlier you submit everything, the better your room selection timeslot will be.
Once the individual resident or group's room selection time starts, the room selection page will be made viewable on the resident's portal. It is the responsibility of the group leader to assign all residents within the roommate group to a space. If the group leader does not assign individuals to a space, those individuals will be able to access the page and assign themselves during their own timeslot. If you miss your room selection timeslot, your chances of receiving a space is lower. There is also the possibility that you might not get your preferences or that you will end up on a waitlist.
Students who are enrolled in at least one unit of instruction at San Francisco State University are eligible to reside on-campus during the summer.
Summer residents are housed in single and double occupancy apartments in University Park North. Meal plans are not required for summer residents.