People come from their own personal experiences, some of which you may not understand. It is therefore important to stay respectful and flexible with each other. Your room and apartment will serve as a second home to you and your roommate(s), so it is vital you all feel welcome and respected in your own home environment. If a roommate conflict should arise and you would like to request a room change, follow the steps below. View the Community Living Standards Guide for more information about roommate expectations and responsibilities.
Room Change Request Instructions
The Room Change Request form will be available on the Housing Portal 2 weeks after the start of the semester.
- Log into the Student Housing Portal and select the 'Request a Room Change' button on the left side of the page.
- On the 'Booking Selector' page, select your room assignment and then click 'Save & Continue'.
- On the 'Welcome' page, click 'Save & Continue'. No information is needed on this page.
- On the 'Room Change Request' page, select the desired community and room type.
- Enter a detailed reason for the change request and your SF State Student ID Number and press 'Save & Continue'.
Keys to Successful Roommate Relationships
Keep in mind that each person may have a different view of what sharing space means.
Keep an open line of communication and talk to each other about needs and concerns.
Remain open to doing things differently than what you are used to.
Respect each other’s differences, needs and priorities.