Payment Information

Housing charges for each semester are posted in advance to student accounts via their Student Center. Once charges are posted, students can submit their housing payments. Students are given the option to submit their payments all at once or pay in installments.

Installment Payments


# of Installments | Twelve (12) installments
License Agreement Period | August through July


*(Mary Park Hall, Mary Ward Hall, Towers at Centennial Square, Tower JR Suites, Village at Centennial Square, University Park North, and University Park South)

# of Installments | Ten (10) installments
License Agreement Period | August through May

When to Pay


Any payment received after the 20th of each month will be considered late and subject to a $50 late fee. If your financial aid disbursement is delayed, the account will still be assessed a late fee.

To view your account details, log onto the SF State Gateway. There you will find 'Account Activity', 'Due Now' and 'Future Payment' information. 

Things to Know

Payments during winter break: Even if you are not in room during winter break, the first installment for the spring semester will be due on January 15th.

Summer housing (except Manzanita Square): A one-time payment for summer fees is due on June 15th.

How to Pay

Online payment


Paying online is the fastest and safest way to pay your housing fees. A 2.65% fee is will be charged for credit or debit card payments. Paying by eCheck is free.

To make an online payment, log into the Student Center on the SF State Gateway.

In person


A personal check, cashier’s check, or money order may be dropped off at:

  • The drop box located outside the Student Housing Office at 800 Font Blvd.
  • The Bursar's Office at the Student Services Building or Administration Building

Cash is only accepted at the Bursar’s Office.

By mail


A personal check, cashier’s check or money order may be mailed to:

SF State Housing Financial Services
750 Font Blvd., Suite 5000
San Francisco, CA 94132

Do not mail cash.


When paying by check, make checks payable to: San Francisco State Housing. Please be sure to include the student name and SF State Student ID on the face of the check.

Alternative Payment Sources

Using Financial Aid for Housing Payments

Once you receive your space confirmation, log onto the San Francisco State Gateway and view the Fee Schedule to determine if your Scheduled Financial Aid Net Disbursement is enough to cover actual housing costs.

Do not assume your financial aid will pay all housing costs. Declining any part of the financial aid award, including student and parent loans, will likely result in the student paying Housing costs directly. 

Financial Aid will be applied towards tuition fees first. Any remaining balance from financial aid will then be applied towards housing room and meal charges.

PLEASE NOTE: Failure to complete your “To Do List” on the SF State Gateway can result in a delay of a financial aid disbursement resulting in late fees for housing installment charges. Financial Aid recipients with delayed disbursements will be held responsible for late fees.

The following Housing costs are not eligible to be covered by Financial Aid funds:

  • Application fee
  • Initial payment
  • Activity fee
  • Key replacement fees
  • Parking fees
  • Damage and notice fees
  • Late fees

Payments by a Third Party

If a third party has agreed to pay a resident’s housing installment charges and requires an official university invoice, a Third-Party Contract billing will need to be set up. To request a Third-Party Contract billing, email with a subject line containing “Request for Third Party Contract billing”. Once the Third-Party Contract billing is approved, the financial responsibility will be transferred to the third party and an official university invoice will be provided.


  • If the third party fails to pay the university invoices by the end of each semester, the financial responsibility will be transferred back to the student.
  • Third Party Contract billing must be set up at the beginning of each semester and cannot be set up for the entire academic year.
  • Third parties, such as financial institutions or college funds that send automatic payments are NOT eligible for Third Party Contract billing.