Whether you are a freshman, transfer or grad student, you will find a variety of housing options at San Francisco State University, all with abundant cultural and social activities to enrich your life as you pursue your academic goals.
On-campus housing at SF State is limited and in high demand. While living on campus is not required, it is also not guaranteed and offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Housing Office highly recommends students submit their housing application as soon as the housing portal opens (see the Dates & Deadlines section on the right side of this page). Students are encouraged to apply for housing as soon as possible to increase their chances of obtaining a space and to avoid being put on the wait list.
Get Acrobat Reader to view PDF files.
Prior to Applying for Housing:
- Apply to the University to obtain an SF State Student ID Number. Students will be emailed their SF State ID number after completing their University application on Cal State Apply.
- After creating a password, applicants can use their SF State ID and password to access the online housing portal, which will become available 24 hours after the ID number is issued.To retrieve your issued SFSU ID go to sfsu.edu/sfsuid. To create or reset your password go to sfsu.edu/online/troubletips.htm
Current University Housing residents are eligible to request shared apartment spaces at University Park North (UPN) and South (UPS) for the upcoming academic year. Housing for returning residents is not guaranteed. Available spaces are provided based on renewal priority and completion date of the online application, License Agreement and $300 initial payment.
Every current resident who completes the application, License Agreement and makes the initial payment before the deadline will be given specific priorities based on:
- Priority Level: The priority level as described in the chart below.
- Date: The date and time the student submitted the application, License agreement and the initial payment.
|Priority Level||Description||Possible Numbers|
|Level 1||High Achievers-based on GPA and residential community involvement.||1-400|
|Level 2||Current first year Freshman residents.||400-1000|
|Level 3||Residents second year and above (SO, JR, SR, Grads)||1000-1200|
STEP 1: Create a Roommate Profile
Once the License Agreement pages are completed, the portal will prompt you to complete the 'Create a Roommate Profile' and 'Search for Roommates' pages. All returning residents will be required to create a profile in order to select and be assigned a roommate. Be sure to check the 'include in search' box so that you will be included in the roommate search process.
STEP 2: Select Your Roommate(s)
If you do not have specific roommate(s) you'd like to share a room with, you will need to search for roommates in the housing portal. For students who already know who they would like to share a room with, go to option 2 to create a 'Roommate Group'.
Option 1: Search for a Roommate
After creating your profile, students will be eligible to search for roommates according to the following criteria:
- Search by Details- by entering their details
- Search by Profile Questions- by selecting profile questions
- Search by Matching Roommates- by searching roommates who match by profile information
Once you have found a roommate you would like to share a room with, select them and move to the next step.
Please Note: Your License Agreement preferences and roommate selections are not guaranteed. If you are dissatisfied with your selection you may request a room change two weeks after the beginning of the semester.
Option 2: Create a Roommate Group
Returning residents may choose to select a group of two (2) to five (5) roommates when they reach the 'Search for Roommates' page by completing the following steps.
- Designate a group leader. Once a roommate group is determined, a group leader needs to be selected for the room selection step. We recommend that this be the individual with the earliest timeslot and the resident who will be responsible for selecting the rooms. Please Note: All group members are encouraged to discuss potential situations that could impact a group leader's decisions prior to the sign-up process. The earlier the date of completion by the group leader, the better the chances are to get an earlier room selection time slot for the roommate group.
- Create a group. The group leader will need to create the roommate group on the 'Search for Roommates' page. Each roommate must be registered in the housing portal during the License Agreement renewal period and have completed their application, License Agreement and paid the $300.00 initial payment in order to be added to the group and move on to the room selection process.
- Remaining group members join the group. Once the first roommate creates the group, the rest of the group members are able to search and join the roommate group.
- Group members confirm and verify each member. Once all group members have joined, each member must confirm and verify each other. Unverified groups and inappropriate group names will not be accepted.
Once the individual resident or group's room selection time starts, the room selection management page will be made viewable on the resident's portal. It is the responsibility of the group leader to assign all residents within the roommate group to a space. If the group leader does not assign individuals to a space, those individuals will be able to access the page and assign themselves. If you miss your room selection timeslot, your chances of receiving a space is lower. There is also the possibility that you might not get your preferences or that you will end up on a waitlist.
Summer housing is available to students who are enrolled in at least one unit of instruction at San Francisco State University to reside on-campus during the summer.
- Students will need to submit their application, select their desire housing dates, and submit the $145 initial payment. The remaining Summer Housing fee will need to be paid at least 3 business days before their intended move-in date. Further fee information can be found on our Summer Fee Schedule [PDF].
- The application and License Agreement is available on the housing portal.
- Students must use SF State ID and password to log in. Choose “Summer 2018” term.
- All Housing License Agreements will begin on a Sunday (check-in 10am) and end on a Saturday (check-out 10am).
Please note: If you are a current resident, we strongly recommend that you submit your summer housing application before May 14th so that the Housing Office has time to organize your transition into your summer apartment.
The Initial Payment includes:
- $30 nonrefundable application fee (no fee waiver available)
- $100 security deposit
- $15 optional activity fee, which is non-refundable after the Licensee’s move-in date.
Step 1: Application and License Agreement
- Click the 'Apply for Housing' button and log in to the online housing portal using your SF State ID number and password.
- Complete the application and License Agreement for the applicable academic year.
- Sign the License Agreement and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- For questions regarding ID number and password creation go to the Registrar's Office help page. For all other questions, contact the Housing Office at
Please note: The License Agreement Terms and Conditions is a legal agreement that students or the guardians of minors are required to enter with the Trustees of the California State University on behalf of SF State as a part of our housing application process. This agreement details dates of occupancy, cancellation procedures, financial obligations, fee payments, and facility rules and regulations.
Step 2: Payment
Step 4: Assignment
Students can cancel their application by emailing the Housing Office at email@example.com with the following information:
- Full name and SF State ID #
- Statement of cancellation
Refund of $300 Initial Payment:
- Confirmed applicants must submit their cancellation request 30 days before Move-In Day to receive the full $270 refund. For less than 30 days notice, applicants will be charged a prorated notice charge based on the date of cancellation of your assigned space.
- If a cancellation is requested prior to paying the $300 initial payment, you may cancel at any time with no penalty.
- If you are on the wait list, you may cancel at any time with no penalty.
|February 15 - April 21, 2019||Application and License Agreement available to returning residents|
|March 1, 2019:||Application and License Agreement available to new students|
|March 1 – March 31, 2019:||Priority License Agreement and Initial Payment period|
|May 15, 2019:||Fall 2018 Application and License Agreement close to all students|
|April – May 2019:||Students receive space confirmations by email|
|June – October 2019:||Wait List updates|
|Late July 2019:||Confirmed residents receive their room and roommate assignments by email|
|Late August 2019:||Fall 2018 Move-In Day|
Housing Dates & Class Schedule:
|June 3 – July 7||R1: June 4 – July 6|
|June 17 – August 11||R2: June 18 – August 10|
|July 8 – August 11||R3: July 9 – August 10|
|June 3 – August 11||R4: June 4 – August 10|
Please Note: The housing office offers a modified summer schedule in the License Agreement to those students attending a program or courses that does not correspond to the scheduled R1 – R4 dates.