Current Resident Intent to Vacate Request Process

Your Housing License Agreement is for the entire academic year. In order to gain approval for a license cancellation, you must provide a 30-day notice AND meet one of the following criteria to be approved for cancellation:

  • End of Student status
  • Marriage or Domestic Partnership
  • Hardship or extraordinary circumstances

For detailed information and conditions under which you may be eligible to terminate your contract, please consult your Student Housing License Agreement, Terms and Conditions, Part 3, "3.0 License Cancellations, Refunds, Treatment of Indebtedness.

Please note, if you choose to move even though your Intent to Vacate notice has been denied, you may be required to pay full fees for the entire academic year as required by the License Agreement.

Instructions to request an Intent to Vacate through the online application portal:

  • After logging into the housing application portal, select the Intent to Vacate link at the top of the page
  • On the Booking Selector page, select your room assignment and then press Save & Continue.
  • On the Welcome page press Save & Continue, no information is needed on this page.
  • On the Intent to Vacate Information page you will be presented with the criteria you need to meet in order to be approved.
    • Select the desired Move-Out date and you will be prompted to provide a detailed explanation for the desire to vacate.
  • To complete the Intent to Vacate page, enter your SFSU ID number and press Save & Continue.