Renter's Insurance

Residents are required to obtain Renter's Insurance for protection due to fire, flood, theft, personal injury or injury to others, or other casualty. The University will not be financially responsible for replacement of any items or for a resident's liability unless as direct and proximate result of the University’s negligence. Check out this video for safety tips on how to protect your property. 

Personal Liability

The Community Living Standard highlights residents’ responsibility regarding their belongings and renter's insurance:

Your Possessions

  • The University is not responsible for possessions lost or stolen from your room, apartment, or from any other area of the residential community.
  • Keep your keys with you at all times and lock your door and windows when you leave your room/apartment.
  • Do not store your belongings outside your room or window.
  • Items placed outside your room will be discarded without prior notification. 

Renter's Insurance through a Third Party Vendor

Renter's Insurance can be obtained through Grad Guard or any other third party vendor via the housing portal.  Please note: San Francisco State University is not affiliated with any third party vendors and does not endorse or personally recommend them. If you obtain renter's insurance through a third party vendor the following requirements apply: 

Minimum Scope and limit of Insurance

Coverage shall be at least as broad as:
Liability Insurance, including property damage and bodily injury with limits no less than $100,000 per occurrence.